Saturday, October 10, 2009

Just a Little Rain

Last night, I ran an errand. It was a little gray when I went into the store and I was well aware of the pending rainfall and the tornado warnings across the city. Upon exiting the store, the sky had turned a dark gray infused with blue. The clouds were split and lightening was shooting out a warning of the coming rains. After a quick analysis, I thought it best to just go home so as not to get caught in the storm. The whole way home I chanted 'just hold off a few more minutes until I get home....just a few minutes." Random rain drops crashed and splattered against my windshield, giving my wipers a short bursts of excitement. Still, I chanted and hoped. I knew what was coming. As I pulled into my driveway, I let out a sigh of relief as it had not yet begun to pour. I gathered my purchases, opened my car door and in that one split second, the heavens opened, dumping every drop of water it had been collecting. I got out, getting soaked in the cool southern rains. I gave the sky a good 'fist shake of doom', screaming to the thunderous clouds above "You just couldn't wait two more seconds could you? Could you?!?" Hurriedly I made my way inside, drenched with the flood from above. Even though I was cold and now wet with the evidence of my failed hope, I still had to smile. I stood and watched nature's fireworks in lightening, listened to nature's music in thunderous drumroll, and was quietly thankful I got caught up in it in the last few seconds of my journey home.

2 comments: