Monday, August 30, 2010

Living Waters

Oh office plant. Your resiliancy astounds me. After every weekend away, you become droopy. My plant watering ineptitude becomes rather obvious as your slender stalks, weak from nutritional depletion, curl around the edge of your plastic container. You hold on just a few more minutes, a few more hours, until my return to feed you the necessities of life that you require. You know I will come. Propelled only by monetary gain, I return to my office chair, eventually gazing upon your withering leaves. I cringe, run to get you life sustaining water. I talk to you, giving you the heartfelt apology you have heard oh so many times. My fingers trace your seemingly lifeless petals that once were so beautiful before I came along. I try to lift you up. But I can only watch, and hope that my destruction has not fully killed the life you once had. In my business, I neglect to give you the only thing you require: living water. Every week, I know that you will once again rise. And every week, you do. Every week, your roots drink and your lifeless limbs echo a visible sigh of relief and delight.

And you, my little plant, give me reason to go on. Because if you can live with such a terrible caregiver, imagine what I can do with the God of the Universe caring for me!
So many times, I am depleted as you have been. So many times, I'm withering and breaking. So many times the only thing I need is living water. I wish I was that resiliant. I wish I would not always give in to my tiredness and weariness. I wish in that moment where the only thing I had to cling to was hope, that I would not give up so easily. I wish, my dear office plant, that I was more like you. Yet like you, I know He will come, has come, and traced my lifeless limbs. My roots drink and peace floods my soul as He drowns me in life sustaining, life giving, life altering living waters. He restores me, saves me, comforts me, and believes in me. I will rise again.


And this Friday, I will not forget to water you, Phoenix of flora. You are a small echo of my life, and I want to keep you around.

3 comments:

  1. =) Very cool! I love when the Lord uses every day things to speak to our lives like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best pieces of writing I have read. Absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tremendously uplifting words! Thanks for sharing the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete